Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

Should we have a “Discussion” and/or “Blog” section”?

07 Nov 2014 18:25

gvshwnth
At times, in the language sections, members start discussing between themselves.
The number of active members has also increased in the past few months.
Many members may like to express themselves on various subjects, not necessarily connected to language translation.

Would it be a good idea to give them a platform to do so, right here at Shabkosh.com?

A Discussion section, with members exchanging views, in any language that they are comfortable in, is what I have in mind.
A trusted member could be appointed as a moderator to maintain control.

If some members wish to write a blog, should we encourage them by giving them a platform here at Shabdkosh?
Iif they write well, in any language, they may attract readers and also comments.
Of course they are free to start their own blog. But the advantage here is that there is a captive set of readers already available.
Most bloggers struggle to find readers. At least here, they will have some readers to start with. Depending on their merits, they may get more readers in future.

I would like to put up these proposals for discussion and a decision by the Administrator.

If there is a blog section, I am willing to contribute entries from time to time in English and Hindi.
Regards
GV

07 Nov 2014 19:18
"Sakshi"
07 Nov 2014 19:18
I liked this suggestion. I am in a favour of GV Sir.

07 Nov 2014 23:33
6anurag9
07 Nov 2014 23:33
@sir ji
bahut hi badiya vichaar hai aapka. mai is vichaar ke paksha me hu.
dhanyavaad.

08 Nov 2014 04:45
SHABDKOSH
08 Nov 2014 04:45
To understand the suggestion better, can you please advise on the following:

1. What type of topics are proposed to be in the blog? About language nuances, grammar, etc.? Others?
2. If such feature is added, then it is preferred to not limit to just English or Hindi. Any ideas for the rest of the beautiful languages of India? I would love if we can have a blog post that talks, for example, about common Kannada words and is directed at Hindi speakers...
3. Blog is more formal and if we do, it must be managed better as well. Discussion could be done in these forums themselves - so, no new facility is required.

Lastly, we can enable authoring blog for one or two authors in the beginning and try it out. Still, we need a list of "categories" of topic and a list of "topics" so that it is not a short lived experiment.

Regards,
Admin

08 Nov 2014 09:10
08 Nov 2014 09:10
Mere bhi Kuch Ideas hai jo yeh shabdkosh.com ko bhavishya mein aur aage le ja sakta hai. jaise maine notice kiya ki kuch member translate ke liye nahi par correction ke liye post upload krte hai. unke liye bhi ek 'correction forum' hona chahiye. aur jo english correct grammar hindi ke madhyam se sikhna chahte hai. unke liye bhi ek 'english grammar through Hindi forum' hona chahiye. aur jo grammar ke question aur grammar practice krna chahte hai. unke liye bhi ek 'grammar rules forum' hona chahiye. aur jo english typing krke hindi likhte hai. unke liye hindi devnagari fonts available kiya jaaye. unke liye ek 'devnagari fonts forum' hona chahiye. aur internet pe english mein knowledge jyada available hai. us gyaan ko hindi available (translation) krne ke liye ek 'english articles knowledge through Hindi translation forum' hona chahiye. Dhanyawaad.

08 Nov 2014 09:33
A.R
08 Nov 2014 09:33
I agree with Sir GV

Regards
A.R

08 Nov 2014 09:57
"Sakshi"
08 Nov 2014 09:57
@Admin,
1. In discussion forum-- Only limited topics will be shared.
Ex - related to only language and grammar usage.
2. Other language will also be discussed if user posts.
3. You can provide a blog option only to a moderator or any member to whom you trust.

08 Nov 2014 10:19
gvshwnth
08 Nov 2014 10:19
@Administrator,

Okay, let's drop the suggestion for having a section for Discussions.
As you rightly say, they can be had in the existing threads of the existing sections too.

As regards the Blog section, I was not proposing that a member should be able to write on anything and everything.
For that, the member can have his own blog.
This is primarily a language forum. We should keep it's objectives in mind.
What I had in mind and which I omitted to mention was a blog for expressing views/thoughts/opinions/ideas on various language issues.
These cannot be brought out by answering or posting translation requests.

For example:
Short essays on subjects like ;
A proposal for a uniform and rational way of spelling Hindi and other regional language words in Roman script.
Differences between American English and British English
Indianisms in English and how westerners are often confused by our Indian expressions
Short essays explaining or elaborating on peculialr words/expresssions in various languages.
Debating the meanings of words and expressions when there is scope to do so
Short explanatory passages on the use of idioms and proverbs.
Amusing anecdoes about language mix ups and experiences with learning and using a language while interacting with native speakers.
Jokes about languages that do not offend any community.
Etc
Etc

We will avoid controversial issues but dwell only on purely academic language issues.

Of course, this blog section need not be for Hindi and English alone.
Let us accommodate all languages.
We could impose a limit on the number of words in a blog, say 400 to 600 words.
Ideally it should not exceed one screenful of text, but in rare cases it could spill over to half of the next screen.
My experience is that anything longer than that will tax the attention span of modern on line readers and will probably not be read at all.
There must be a facility for posting comments which should be moderated.

I would welcome opinions and suggestions from others too.
Regards
GV

08 Nov 2014 10:26
08 Nov 2014 10:26
'Discussion Forum' par click krne par aise vibhaag(parts) member ko dekhne chahiye. jaise DISCUSSION FORUM >> English Articles Knowledge through Hindi Translation Forum > Spell Checker Forum > Grammar Rules Forum > English Grammar learn through Hindi Forum > Correction Forum > Grammar Questions and Practice Forum > Hindi articles knowledge through English Translation Forum > Hindi (english typing) convert to Hindi correct Devnagari fonts. etc etc

08 Nov 2014 10:48
Namitt
08 Nov 2014 10:48
hmm. well i think its a superb idea. it will help to express us, and maybe others can get some help from it. hope to see this soon. 😊

08 Nov 2014 15:58
SHABDKOSH
08 Nov 2014 15:58
Okay, this will be considered and some trial will be planned shortly.

1. There are some complexities as the authority level of users should be implemented so as to allow some forum users to write articles.
2. The idea is to have very high quality of the writing in the blog.
3. We will do this in a step-by-step method. That way, we can alter the course as we observe and learn.

Thanks.
- Admin

08 Nov 2014 18:11
"Sakshi"
08 Nov 2014 18:11
@Admin
!! Thank You !!

08 Nov 2014 20:00
A.R
08 Nov 2014 20:00
It is a great idea.

12 Nov 2014 14:29