Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

Please help me is it right aur wrong

08 Oct 2015 05:42

waris

Sir main is bat ko nhi pacha pa raha hu ki main fail Gya .                                                            Sir I am not able to digest this thing as I have not cleared the exam

08 Oct 2015 07:43
titan
08 Oct 2015 07:43

“aur” is definitely incorrect. It should be “or”.
“Yes or No”, “Right or Wrong”, and so on.

>> Sir I am not able to digest this thing as I have not cleared the exam.
Sir, I am unable to believe that I have failed the exam.

“pacha pa raha hu” is a Hindi cultural thing. Translating it to “digest this thing” will not be suitable when talking in English.

08 Oct 2015 09:29
gvshwnth
08 Oct 2015 09:29

Instead of “unable to digest”, you could perhaps also consider “unable to bear’ or “unable to accept”

As Titan correctly says, “unable to digest” is literal and sounds odd.

GV

09 Oct 2015 04:15
saral1
09 Oct 2015 04:15

Just as ‘pacha pa raha hu’ is Hindi idiom, that is something that cannot be translated literally or word for word into English, there are some English expressions for the same situation, where a person has difficulty accepting new information such as failing an exam or news that there are little green men on Mars, that are also idiomatic and would sound odd if translated literally into Hindi. Examples:

1. I can’t get my head around (the news/ the fact that I have failed my exam).
2. I can’t get over it. I’ve failed my exam.  OR I can’t get over the fact that I’ve failed my exam.

A very common way of expressing this which I think you could translate word for word into Hindi (please tell me if it doesn’t work) would be to say as mentioned by titan:
I can’t believe I’ve failed the exam.

By the way gvshwnthji, (Hope you don’t mind my comment)  ‘Unable to bear’ has a slightly different meaning: the person has understood and cannot tolerate the result. I can’t bear it that I failed my exam.
‘Unable to accept’ is literally a truer translation but its final meaning depends on the context and the tone, that is, how it is said. This could be more defiant, suggesting that there has been some problem with the marking, that the person is complaining about the result being wrong, rather than they just find it ‘difficult to come to terms with’ a more impersonal phrase that has the same sense as ‘nahi pacha pa raha hun’.

09 Oct 2015 09:57
gvshwnth
09 Oct 2015 09:57

Thank you Saral1!
Please feel free to correct me or improve what I write here.
Far from taking any offense, I will actually be grateful.

I guide people here only on the basis of my long years of experience in using the language.
I always welcome inputs from you and other members like” narmaprem” who are formally qualified to guide others on this forum.

The only advantage I have is that I am a retired person with time hanging heavily on my hands which I would like to use for the benefit of thousands of unknown learners all over India who are eager to improve their English.

Besides I learn a lot myself while being active on this forum.

I will look forward to your continued participation in this forum.

With best wishes,
GV