Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

mitwa,maaf(maaf karo),mat(mat karo,mat chalna)

15 Jul 2010 18:41

RKV

Namaskar

meaning for

1.mitwa…does this mean people??(then wat is the diff. between mitwa,lok,samaj,janata,aadmi..and so on??)

(eg.in mitwa song-lagaan,,,mitwa song in kank cinema)

2.chitti…does it mean letter?or chit?(eg. In Swades cinema,Rajesh Vivek says..“chitti ba…se chutti..meaning for this sentence?)i cant get clearly what he says

3.meaning for kamaal(not kamal..we know that kamal is lotus)
4.prabhat??
5.lar jaye tho..??(eg..in Swades Rajesh Vivek says..“e gaon mein email lar jaye tho hamara..)
6.mat karo means..stop???am i right?(difference between rukho and mat karo??)
7.maaf karo means “forgive me..??”(am i right?)
8.nokri??

and where to use tumne.., where to use tumko.., and difference between mujhse and mein tho???

i hope some of our brothers will help me.danyawad

18 Jul 2010 16:28
Gyan Prakash
18 Jul 2010 16:28

comments -

1.  ‘mitwa’ means friend. The correct word is ‘mitra’ but which is sometimes used as mitwa particularly in spoken Hindi in north India.

2.  ‘chitti’ is actually ‘chitthi’ (चिट्ठी) and it means letter. The other word you wrote as ‘chutti’ (छुट्टी) means leave or getting rid of.

3.  ‘Kamaal’ (कमाल) means wonderful, extra ordinary, pleasing, outstanding, etc.

4.  ‘prabhat’ means morning.

5.  ‘lar’ is a word taken from local dialect say spoken Hindi in Bihar, for which the correct word in Hindi is ‘saath’ and both of these mean ‘together’
  similar is the case with ‘jaye’ which is actually ‘jana’ or ‘ja’ in Hindi and means going
  and ‘tho’ is actually ‘tha’ or ‘the’ (था singular, थे plural)
    the meaning as a whole is - they were to go or they were gong together.

6. ‘mat karo’ means do not do or do not act .  ’ karo’ means do or act.

7. You are right.

8. nokri is actually ‘naukaree’ and means service, doing a job on fixed monthly or fortnightly salary.

18 Jul 2010 17:26
RKV
18 Jul 2010 17:26

Danyawad owr shukriya Gyan Prakash ji !

08 Mar 2011 16:28
Pi
08 Mar 2011 16:28

Just came across this old thread.

RKV,
5. The postman(Rajesh Vivek) in Swades doesn’t say ‘lar jaye’.. He says
‘ee gaoN mein email lag jaye to humare pair ka shanichar utar jaye’.

‘lag’ means to be fixed/attached/installed or a lot of other things depending on the context. ‘Lag jaye to’ means : “if it is installed”. (Your writing of ‘to’ as ‘tho’ can be confusing, as ‘tho’ is used only in Southern parts of India)

‘ee’ in rural Indian languages means ‘iss of Hindi’, meaning ‘this’.

‘humaare’ means ‘mine’ in this context, though in proper Hindi it means ‘ours’.

‘pair’ : means legs.

Shanichar, literally meaning ‘one who walks in night’ - means devil/ghost etc. and is a symbol of evil / ill fate / worldly problems.

‘utar jaye’ - ‘gets away’ in this context.

So the postman there says, If this village gets email, the ill fate or problems of his legs would go away, as he’d not need to walk to each home and deliver postal letters himself. He’d just email all of them.