play - Meaning in Hindi
- खेल(masc)मनोरंजन(masc)मज़ाक(masc)तर्क(masc)नाटक(masc)चाल(masc)आचरण(masc)दिल्लगी(fem)अन्तराल(masc)ठिठोली(fem)किलोल(masc)ठट्ठा(fem)व्यवहार का ढंग(masc)
play Word Forms & Inflectionsplayer (adjective comparative)
plays (noun plural)
played (verb past tense)
playing (verb present participle)
plays (verb present tense)
Definitions and Meaning of play in English
- the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize)
- "his gambling cost him a fortune"
- "there was heavy play at the blackjack table"
- the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully
- (in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds
period of play, playing period
- "rain stopped play in the 4th inning"
- a state in which action is feasible
- "insiders said the company's stock was in play"
- "the ball was still in play"
- the removal of constraints
- "he gave free rein to his impulses"
- "they gave full play to the artist's talent"
- a weak and tremulous light
- "the play of light on the water"
- "the shimmer of colors on iridescent feathers"
- a theatrical performance of a drama
- "the play lasted two hours"
- a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage
drama, dramatic play
- "he wrote several plays but only one was produced on Broadway"
- verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously)
- "he became a figure of fun"
- "he said it in sport"
- utilization or exercise
- "the play of the imagination"
- an attempt to get something
- "he made a bid to gain attention"
- "they made a futile play for power"
- a preset plan of action in team sports
- "the coach drew up the plays for her team"
- a deliberate coordinated movement requiring dexterity and skill
- "he made a great maneuver"
- "the runner was out on a play by the shortstop"
- gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement
caper, frolic, gambol, romp
- "it was all done in play"
- "their frolic in the surf threatened to become ugly"
- (game) the activity of doing something in an agreed succession
- "it is my turn"
- "it is still my play"
- activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules
- "Freud believed in the utility of play to a small child"
- movement or space for movement
- "there was too much play in the steering wheel"
- be performed or presented for public viewing
- "What's playing in the local movie theater?"
- "`Cats' has been playing on Broadway for many years"
- cause to emit recorded audio or video
- "He never tires of playing that video"
- "I'll play you my favorite record"
- "They ran the tapes over and over again"
- emit recorded sound
- "the stereo was playing Beethoven when I entered"
- "The tape was playing for hours"
- play a role or part
act, act, represent
- "Gielgud played Hamlet"
- "She played the servant to her husband's master"
- "She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"
- perform on a stage or theater
act, act, playact, roleplay
- "He acted in `Julius Caesar'"
- "I played in `A Christmas Carol'"
- "She acts in this play"
- pretend to be somebody in the framework of a game or playful activity
- "Let's play like I am mommy"
- "Play cowboy and Indians"
- replay (as a melody)
- "Play it again, Sam"
- "She played the third movement very beautifully"
- play on an instrument
- "The band played all night long"
- perform music on (a musical instrument)
- "Can you play on this old recorder?"
- "He plays the flute"
- move or seem to move quickly, lightly, or irregularly
- "The spotlights played on the politicians"
- cause to move or operate freely within a bounded space
- "The engine has a wheel that is playing in a rack"
- act or have an effect in a specified way or with a specific effect or outcome
- "I played no role in your dismissal"
- "This development played into her hands"
- "This factor played only a minor part in his decision"
- engage in recreational activities rather than work; occupy oneself in a diversion
- "On weekends I play"
- "The students all recreate alike"
- be at play; be engaged in playful activity; amuse oneself in a way characteristic of children
- "I used to play with trucks as a little girl"
- "The kids were playing outside all day"
- behave carelessly or indifferently
dally, flirt, toy, toy, toy
- "Play about with a young girl's affection"
- behave in a certain way
- "play fair"
- "play it safe"
- "play safe"
- be received or accepted or interpreted in a specific way
- "His remarks played to the suspicions of the committee"
- "This speech didn't play well with the American public"
- shoot or hit in a particular manner
- "She played a good backhand last night"
- engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously
toy, toy, toy
- "play the stock market"
- "play with her feelings"
- "They played games on their opponents"
- "toy with an idea"
- pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
act as, act, act
- "He acted the idiot"
- "She plays deaf when the news are bad"
- exhaust by allowing to pull on the line
- "play a hooked fish"
- consider not very seriously
- "He is trifling with her"
- "She plays with the thought of moving to Tasmania"
- participate in games or sport
- "Pele played for the Brazilian teams in many important matches"
- "play cards"
- "We played hockey all afternoon"
- contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle
encounter, meet, take on
- "Charlie likes to play Mary"
- "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"
- employ in a game or in a specific position
- "They played him on first base"
- use or move
- "I had to play my queen"
- perform on a certain location
- "She has been playing on Broadway for years"
- "The prodigy played Carnegie Hall at the age of 16"
- bet or wager (money)
- "He played $20 on the new horse"
- "She plays the races"
- put (a card or piece) into play during a game, or act strategically as if in a card game
- "He is playing his cards close to his chest"
- "The Democrats still have some cards to play before they will concede the electoral victory"
- stake on the outcome of an issue
bet, wager, wager
- "I bet $100 on that new horse"
- "She played all her money on the dark horse"
- make bets
- "play the casinos in Trouville"
- "Play the races"
- use to one's advantage
- "She plays on her clients' emotions"
- discharge or direct or be discharged or directed as if in a continuous stream
- "play water from a hose"
- "The fountains played all day"
- manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination
diddle, fiddle, toy, toy, toy
- "Don't fiddle with the screws"
- "He played with the idea of running for the Senate"
- "She played nervously with her wedding ring"
- cause to happen or to occur as a consequence
bring, bring, make for, work, work, wreak
- "bring comments"
- "I cannot work a miracle"
- "play a joke"
- "The rain brought relief to the drought-stricken area"
- "wreak havoc"
Synonyms of play
- gambling, gaming
- child's play
- caper, frolic, gambol, romp
- maneuver, manoeuvre
- fun, sport
- drama, dramatic play
- free rein
- period of play, playing period
- act, act as
- dally, trifle
- encounter, meet, take on
- bet, wager
- diddle, fiddle, toy
- bring, make for, work, wreak
- act, represent
- act, playact, roleplay
- dally, flirt, toy
More matches for play
playing cards प्लेकार्ड playing field खेलने का मैदान playing field क्रीड़ा स्थल playing field खेल क्षेत्र playing field खेल का मैदान playing games खेल खेल play games खेल खेलें played upon खेला जाता है play area प्ले एरिया play golf गोल्फ खेलें
Words starting with
What is play meaning in Hindi?
The word or phrase play refers to the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize), or the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully, or (in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds, or a state in which action is feasible, or the removal of constraints, or a weak and tremulous light, or be performed or presented for public viewing. See play meaning in Hindi, play definition, translation and meaning of play in Hindi. Find play similar words, play synonyms. Learn and practice the pronunciation of play. Find the answer of what is the meaning of play in Hindi. देखें play का हिन्दी मतलब, play का मीनिंग, play का हिन्दी अर्थ, play का हिन्दी अनुवाद।
Tags for the entry "play"
What is play meaning in Hindi, play translation in Hindi, play definition, pronunciations and examples of play in Hindi. play का हिन्दी मीनिंग, play का हिन्दी अर्थ, play का हिन्दी अनुवादShabdkosh Premium
Ad-free experience & much more
Important words and phrases in Marathi (For beginners)Learning a new language can be difficult. But with constant practice and learning it can be easy. Starting to talk in the language you are trying to… Read more »
Writing complex sentences in English (For beginners)Writing is one such skill that should be encouraged in young children. Read the article and understand what are complex sentences and its structure. Read more »
Vocabulary & Quizzes
Try our vocabulary lists and quizzes.
Liked WordsLogin to get your liked words.