Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

Translate in english

29 Jun 2015 12:15

Vidhya Exypnos

Please clear me this doubt anyone.That is in hindi the words are used under the gender wise.But the words ending with aa is masculine and ee for feminine.But this is not always possible.Then the words endings with the other letters? Then what is the gender of those words ? Because in hindi there is no neuter gender.In addition to this, the words like haathee-masculine,but it ends with ee.It’s sooooo confusing.so,is there any book or website to know the hindi words gender??? Somebody saying that the things size are also determinig the gender of things.please suggest me .How can i study hindi words along with their gender at the same time.Is there any book or website or any other source??????

29 Jun 2015 15:03
Jagdish2014
29 Jun 2015 15:03

[quote author=“Vidhya Exypnos” date=“1435560327”
Pl ref
http://www.hindigrammaronline.com/2013/01/blog-post_8552.html
Regards
Jagdish

29 Jun 2015 21:00
gvshwnth
29 Jun 2015 21:00

Vidhya,

This has been a permanent problem for non Hindi speakers.
There is no rule
If there is a rule then there are so many exceptions that the rule becomes useless.
Sometime there is no logic also in assigning gender,
Pant is feminine, and blouse is masculine when Hindi speakers use these English words without translating them.
I have given up trying to understand this and my most frequent mistake when I write or speak Hindi is a gender related mistake.

Gender in Hindi is determined by usage.
We, non native Hindi speakers have no option but to memorise it.
Native speakers find it easier since they don’t formally learn the language but pick it up during infancy and childhood and soon it becomes a habit for them to use the generally accepted gender.
So don’t worry . Your problem is common. With time and practice it will get solved.
If it is any consolation to you, please note that Hindi speakers find English spelling even more difficult to master.
Regards
GV