Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

PLEASE CHECK

23 Sep 2014 20:51

ajakumar

1. At least salary hike should be 25%
kam se kam salary hike 25% hona chahiye.

23 Sep 2014 20:52
"Sakshi"
23 Sep 2014 20:52

Correct.

23 Sep 2014 21:33
Kit13

@ ajakumar

This translation is correct but I would like to add something:
At least the salary hike should be 25%.

However there is one more point to be noted, there are two meanings to the hindi sentence:

1)At least the salary hike should be 25%.
2) The salary hike should at least be 25%.

If you understand the difference then its ok, choose the one you need….if not feel free to ask.

Regards,
K.

gvshwnth

While not really wrong, I would have preferred a slightly different sequence of words.

The salary hike should have been at least 25 percent.
Salary hike kam se kam 25% honaa chaahiye thaa

Regards
GV

23 Sep 2014 21:49
Kit13
23 Sep 2014 21:49

Sir I agree but the hindi sentence is “hona chahiye” not “hona chahiye tha.”
And the sequence of words used by me is not really inapropriate since it is quite popularly used by the natives.

Regards,
K.

23 Sep 2014 22:13
sunil Yamuna Nagar
23 Sep 2014 22:13

i like to add different then other

there should be hike at least 25% in salary.

23 Sep 2014 23:16
23 Sep 2014 23:16
ajakumar - 23 Sep 2014 20:51

The (English) sentence,  as it is a strange one. One doesn’t use sentence like this. The correct sentence may be either of these.

a) The minimum salary hike should be 25%.
b) The least salary hike should be 25%
This is because, the syntax to make a normal sentence is

Subject + Verb + Object.
Eg: “Horses run fast”
But this is the simplest form. You can improve its meaning my adding ‘masala’; I mean to say by adding details. For example, If I want to say, not all horses run fast; but some special horses only those are “slim”.
So, the sentence will be like this…
“Slim horses run fast”
Analyzing the syntax, we get….

Adjective + Subject + Verb + Object.

Now, coming back to our question, “At least” is neither the subject nor an adjective. It is just an adverb. You cannot put it as a subject. So it is a wrong sentence.

23 Sep 2014 23:25
23 Sep 2014 23:25
Kit13 - 23 Sep 2014 21:33

@ ajakumar

This translation is correct but I would like to add something:
At least the salary hike should be 25%.

However there is one more point to be noted, there are two meanings to the hindi sentence:

1)At least the salary hike should be 25%.
2) The salary hike should at least be 25%.

Regards,
K.

Strictly speaking, the sentence written in blue is wrong. But you can correct it by putting a comma as shown below.
At least, the salary hike should be 25%.
If the adverbial part is so important to be taken care of, we can bring it in front of the sentence. But it should be separated by a comma.
Btw, your other suggested sentences too, are based on this particular sentence, basically.

24 Sep 2014 08:47
Kit13
24 Sep 2014 08:47

@Ninjawarrior you seem to have a deep knowledge of grammar or else you are really good and fast when it comes to searching things in Google. I commend that. But u have totally misunderstood the meanings of the sentences I have given.

The first sentence: At least the salary hike should be 25%.
Even if u write it without a comma it won’t be wrong. Commas are rapidly going out of fashion even with the native speakers which we are not. Here you are correct to say it is an adverb and the effect of “at least” falls upon “the salary hike”, and it means even if none of the other demands are fulfilled at least there should be a salary hike; whereas the second sentence :
The salary hike should at least be 25%.
Here the “at least” is actually a quantifier not an adverb and its effect falls upon the “25%” meaning the hike should at least be 25%, it can be more but the minimum %age should be 25.

We cannot use minimum in this sentence since minimum means “nyoonatam” in hindi not “kam se kam”.

Regards,
K.

24 Sep 2014 10:32
shally232
24 Sep 2014 10:32

@ Kit13 Sir
I think At least meaning is kam se kam what ever where it is used. Its meaning never minimum.

24 Sep 2014 10:59
24 Sep 2014 10:59

Kit13,
Don’t ever say that comma is losing its prominence in language and it is running out of fashion. At times, the sentences seem to be rubbish without it.

Please consider this line.
“Let’s eat grandma.”
Do you really think this sentence make sense? But it makes sense if the sentence were….
“Let’s eat, grandma.”

Another example. This sentence is known to have been by a judge.
“Hang him; not let him go” {=to kill him}
The meaning will be different if the punctuation was a bit different.
“Hang him not; let him go” {=free him}

24 Sep 2014 11:09
shally232
24 Sep 2014 11:09

@NinjaWarrior
I agree with you. “nukhta ke asar se khuda juda ho jata hai”, this is the urdu statement, meaning is that ki agar aap ek nukhta nahi lagate to khuda ki jagah juda likh jata hai. Same as in English which you have explained already.

24 Sep 2014 13:25
fauzia
24 Sep 2014 13:25

Salary hike should be at least 25%

24 Sep 2014 18:21
Gyan Prakash
24 Sep 2014 18:21

भाषा में फ़ैशन की बात चली है और “कुंडा” शब्द भी काम में लिया जा चुका है तो हिंदी का कुंडा तो हम  -

नीले, पीले, लाल, .... के बजाय    ब्ल्यू, यैलो, और रैड, ...., रविवार,  सोमवार, ........के बजाय संडे, मंडे, ....., जूते के बजाय शूज़,  . . . . आदि लिख कर कर ही रहे हैं -

यहाँ भी ”सैलेरी हाइक”  को हिंदी में भी ऐसे के ऐसे लिखा जाना सुझाया गया है जबकि वेतन वृद्धि, तनख़्वाह में बढ़ोतरी, आदि शब्द उपलब्ध हैं ।

आजकल हिंदी में अधिक से अधिक अंग्रेज़ी शब्द काम में लेने का चलन हो गया है । अंग्रेज़ी में अगर लाठी जैसे शब्दों को मान्य किया जाता है तो यह एक ख़बर होती है और फिर उनके शब्दकोष में भी यह आ जाते हैं पर हिंदी में तो जो मर्ज़ी हो शब्द घुसाना फ़ैशन बन गया है और इसे एक तरह से योग्यता की निशानी माना जाने लगा है । हिंदी के विज्ञापनों  की भाषा तो कई बार समझना ही मुश्किल हो जाता है - एक विज्ञापन में आता है - क्या मैं तुम्हें डॉन्की लगता हूँ ? तो सोचना पड़ता है कि इनका मतलब गधे से है ।

इस भाषा सहयोग मंच के माध्यम से सदस्यगण यदि प्रचलित हिंदी शब्दों को भूल कर उनके बजाय अंग्रेज़ी शब्द काम में लेने के फ़ैशन को कम करने में योगदान देंगे तो यह एक उल्लेखनीय सेवा होगी ।

वैसे यह विषय अलग से उठाने लायक है ।

24 Sep 2014 18:49
gvshwnth
24 Sep 2014 18:49

@Gyan Prakashji,
आप से सहमत हूँ।
कभी कभी सोचता हूँ यह कौनसी भाषा है?
अंग्रेज़ी, हिन्दी या हिंग्लिश?

शुभकामनाएं
विश्वनाथ

24 Sep 2014 21:20
Kit13
24 Sep 2014 21:20

@Ninjawarrior
What i said is not my hypothesis, its a general observation which has been done by many linguists and to say something is going out of fashion does not mean its completely extinct or it is no more needed. You definitely seem to have eyes for extra meanings which have not been intended.

@Shally
Thats what I have said that “at least” can never mean minimum.

@Gyanprakash and GV Sir,

Change in languages is as common a phenomena as the changing of minds of people. After all language is one of the attributes of human physique and human nature and behaviour and these are what shape languages. Especially Hindi and English. The more popular a language is the more words it borrows and lends and it would be good to keep in mind that These are in no sense rival languages. To respect a language is definitely good but discriminating against another is wrong. And Hindi has already borrowed from so many languages that it would be wrong to accuse Indian English speakers for this. And if you would like to know which language has suffered the most its definitely English. Wherever it went it has borrowed. Evidences can be seen in all the dialects of English .... Austrailian, Indian, American, Brazilian and these are on the rise.
And besides words are not the only entities that are borrowed but there are sounds, syntax and Grammar. And what you are calling Hinglish is actually an example of code-mixing or code-switching which sometimes becomes necessary.

Please consider the above.

Regards,
K.