Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

Mystery about "views"

21 Aug 2014 13:25

gvshwnth
What is this mystery about "views"?
I am not able to understand at all.

For some threads, even after two days, the number of views stays between 100 to 150 only.
For some threads, the number of views shoots up to 200 within a few hours and after a couple of days even reaches or crosses 400.

Ordinary questions and answers sometimes earn a large number of views.
Difficult/challenging questions and answers sometimes hardly have any views.

I have noticed that the views are high in number, for threads posted by some particular members.
And for some other members the number of views is always a moderate figure.

Why and how does this happen? If any one knows, please explain it to me.

Basically the question is why some threads get a large number of views and others get so few?

Regards
GV

21 Aug 2014 17:58
SHABDKOSH
21 Aug 2014 17:58
There are lots of sources of views - it could be people browsing or people reaching from search engines like Google.
It is hard to figure out what is causing high and low views.

One question - does it make sense to create a separate forum for topics related to this site, topics that are not related to language learning?

Thanks.

21 Aug 2014 18:32
gvshwnth
21 Aug 2014 18:32
@administrator.
Thanks for responding.
May be you are right.
But how come threads started by some particular users consistently garner more hits and that too within just half an hour or an hour after the reply is posted?
I wonder if they are circulating the link to others on groups, forums, or blogs or to multiple email recipients or sharing on facebook or twitter which generate additional hits from non members.

Regarding your question:
I wonder what topic we could discuss here that is not related to language learning.
Do you have any particular subject in mind?
I thought most forum members visit this site solely for the purpose of resolving some language or translation issue.
For discussing general topics, there are so many other platforms.
Anyway no harm in having a separate section for this.
Let us see if it becomes popular and useful and if it can attract user participation.
You must draw up guidelines and clearly define the purpose and make clear what is okay and what is not okay.
It may also be more difficult to moderate. So please think over before implementing. I am game.

Regards
GV

21 Aug 2014 21:42
SHABDKOSH
21 Aug 2014 21:42
Yes, it is possible they are circulating the links. Or may be they are checking again and again for any reply...

From a separate forum I meant to say that this topic ("Mystery about views") is not really a language topic... so, it could be asked in that forum instead. But you are probably right - it may not have a lot of active topics at a time.

Thanks.