Shabdkosh®

Language Support Forums | भाषा सहयोग मंच

Punjabi grammar question about conditional present tense?

26 Mar 2013 17:08

learntoread

I have a question regarding conditional present tense verbs in Punjabi. Conditional present tense is known as ਵਰਤਮਾਨ ਸ਼ਰਤੀ ਕਾਲ “va-ra-ta-maan sha-ra-tii kaal” in Punjabi language.

Here is an example sentence written in conditional present tense.
ਜੇ ਅਧਿਆਪਕ ਕਹੇ, ਤਾਂ ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ ਸਕੂਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ।
(Je a-dhi-aa-pak ka-re, taan vi-di-aa-ra-thi skuul jaan-daa hai.)
(If the teacher asks, then the student goes to school.)

The first clause (or part) of this sentence is, “If the teacher asks,”. The verb “ask” (to tell, to order, etc.) is the verb that must be in “conditional present tense”.

In my example sentence, the verb is ਕਹੇ “ka-re” (spelled kakaa, raaraa, laanv). I believe this is the “conditional present tense form” of ਕਹਿਣਾ “ka-hi-naa” (root verb ਕਹਿ “ka-hi”), which is a verb meaing to say, tell, to order, etc..

However, I could be wrong about this. It may be a derivative of a different verb. Maybe the verb ਕਿਹਾ “ki-haa”, which means “told, said, ordered”.

Therefore my question is as follows. What are the rules for forming the “conditional present verb”?

So, for example, you could use the word for eat or ਖਾਣਾ “khaa-naa” with a root verb of ਖਾ “khaa”.

How would you change ਖਾ “khaa” (eat) to make it a verb in conditional present tense form?

There should be some grammar rules dictating how verbs are conjugated into conditional present tense form.

Please reply to this question with those rules if you know them.